"....with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our Sacred Honor.."

Monday, November 23, 2009

I Grew Up In the Sunset of a Norman Rockwell Painting

My father always had to have the biggest bird, for Thanksgiving and Christmas Day, from the local Agway farm in the town I grew up in. As the holidays approached he would find his customary 'second job' to prepare for the December 25th onslaught of kids running down the stairs, I would be in a diaper slinking down on my bum.

Funny thing, I have no memory of my dad when I was small doing the things dads are told to do for their kids. Play with them, see them at the game, show them how to do this or that. My dad did what he had to do, he worked. I never wanted for anything. My home was warm, my plate was full, my shoes were new, vacations were awesome, my town was small (then) I rode my bike, played in the street, slept in a tent on summer nights out back. I grew up in the sunset of a Norman Rockwell painting.

After 46 years on this rock, my best beloved and I have kindled our own Thanksgiving/Christmas tradition of family, friends, good drink, games, kids. I thank my parents and Rebecca's parents for that anchor in our lives.

I am a different father than my dad was. I am there for them on those off times. The downside is we do not always have the things that other affluent families do. Oh well, I have found ritches beyond what money can provide. Besides, I am not dead yet.

I am greatfull for the chance to be here. I could care less about the world and the state it is in. It has always been at war, always struggling. Yet, here we are. As long as good exists and knows it, bad shall never overcome. I am greatfull for my kids who have grown up to start finding their own roads (as full of holes they may be). I am greatfull to be able to fly my flag every morning and say that silent "thank-you" as I touch it in the morning breeze, knowing so many are out there, barrels raised, to allow me that small priveledge to do as I just said. I am greatfull for a job when so many have none.

There is an old saying from a 'Star Trek' movie..."I have more days behind me than ahead of me". That is where I am at now.

Don't worry, I am not going silent into that final goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment