"....with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our Sacred Honor.."

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Part III


The meeting was long .No one had any information. We all went off of gossip and what we saw that day the Army pulled out. The Sergeant and his assistant left behind at the garrison attended and tried to establish calm. He was inundated with questions. Poor bastard, some 20-something Staff Officer supposed to have all the answers. I tried to remain silent. Listening before I spoke out.
“ Other communities may have some insight”. I said loudly.
The crowd quieted. Turned. Now I am on the spot.
“We..We should go out and find out more info on this..Something must have happened. But I do not think it is so bad that we are in danger. Well, any more than we have been this last year.”
“We have agreed that a team should go on horseback to Hanscom and try..” Said one.
“Where are the other leaders from Hudson?’ Asked another.
“..All the other towns?’.. The noise rose again with questions..
“Refugees from Boston are heading west..we can’t…”
“The gun shops are empty..We only have so much amm…”
I looked over at the Sergeant,quietly I said; “What do you know? I know you have coms. What is going on?”
We both pulled away.
“All the fucking cops are gone, fire and rescue have taken all the shit for their own families. Your own experience makes you and me the head of household, get it? I got a bunch of military retirees and ex-Homeland Security to help me.” I nodded. I understood his dilemma.
“Shit, I could get Court for this..What the hell..” I put my hand on his shoulder.
“Sergeant, it is all over, I know..Just tell me”. I could see his face crumble. Poor kid, God bless him.
“LA was nuked..Fucking nuked by that Kim-Fuck-Asshole. They saw us as weak and time to strike.”
“Please tell me we responded.” I said, I was pissed.
“…They’re toast.”
All I could do was pat him on the shoulder. I thought of the North Korean children and South Korea..Oh shit, oh shit this is it.
“China is mobilizing but they know why we did it, they’re just ramping up just in case.”
“They know we don’t want to invade China.” I said
“According to intell I get, and it is little, they’re worried about Japan.”
I could completely understand. Japan will go ape shit on their ass if they make a move to Taiwan and the China Sea. Any one remember WWII?
It took me a few minutes. The rancor in the crowd was a dull roar. I thought quickly, turned to the Sergeant.
“You, and I are going to Hanscom.” His face snapped out of it’s trance.
“I…I..”
“No..no..We are going. Trust me. Hold on.”
I turned to the meeting. “Every one..Every one!” The crowd settled “..Sergeant Jackson and I will go to Hanscom. Niel, you are a former Marine Captain and Jackson and I have agreed that you will commandeer the Humvee left here to guard the town while we are gone.” my arm. Poor kid, he just sat down. Niel was former Desert Storm Vet..No one better. Besides his cow was now going to birth and we needed milk and a competent person in charge.
“How will you get there?” A voice said.
I looked around the crowd, found my answer.
“Mike? I reframed and sided your barn this summer, I am calling in my pay.’
I got two males I can give you fully rigged.”. Deal set. I turned to Jackson.
“I want to go to the garrison we need some stuff.”
Jackson nodded, he understood.
Jackson tried to step forward in protest.

No comments:

Post a Comment